- air pump
- nouna pump that moves air in or out of something• Syn: ↑vacuum pump• Hypernyms: ↑pump• Hyponyms: ↑condensation pump, ↑diffusion pump, ↑inflater, ↑inflator, ↑ion pump
* * *noun: a pump for exhausting air from a closed space or for compressing air or forcing it through other apparatus — compare vacuum pump
* * *1. an apparatus for drawing in, compressing, or exhausting air.2. (caps.) Astron. the constellation Antlia.[1650-60]
* * *a piece of equipment used for putting air into something such as a tyre or a ballThesaurus: machines and equipment with a specific usehyponym general words for machinery and equipmenthypernym
* * *air pump,an apparatus for forcing air into or through something, or for drawing it out, or for compressing it.
* * *n. a device for pumping air into or out of an enclosed space
* * *noun, pl ⋯ pumps [count]: a pump used for removing air from or adding air to something (such as a tire)
* * *ˈair pump [air pump] nouna piece of equipment for sending air into or out of sth
an air pump used to filter water in a fish tank
Useful english dictionary. 2012.